Saturday, May 10, 2008

Preview - Ubuntu AMD64 on a Dell Latitude D630

First I really like my laptop, the keyboard is comfortable to type on, I think it's fairly easy to upgrade (Memory, Bluetooth, HDD, Media Drive, WAN card (mobile broadband from say Verizon or Sprint)) I like the layout of the ports compared to the Lenovo laptops... Anyway, the last time I upgraded my system I had a hard time getting things up and running fully. First eye candy is very important to me and the Intel 965 chipset was a huge hurdle to overcome, then my intel wireless kept freaking out. So when the wifey is surfing www.thenest.com and the network manager keeps crashing and she has to reboot, makes a not so fun evening at home. I would say it took me a couple weeks to work out those issues, and after that it was pretty much smooth sailing... most of the time...

So, today I finally backed up my files (Mainly some movies & programs I had on my laptop) and installed the highly touted release Hardy Heron. To be more specific I installed the 64-Bit edition... There is a really good Pro vs. Con on installing the 64-Bit edition on the Ubuntu Forums, so I decided to at least give it a try.

It's just after Midnight CST here in Chicago and I've been up and running with my upgraded system for over 4 hours... Needless to say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with this release... I have compiled my notes and hopefully will have time soon to walk through the detailed steps, until then you'll just have to be satisfied with a screen shot.


No comments: